First off I’d like to answer the question, what is clean beauty? This can be a subjective topic, but to me, it’s products that are mindfully created without the use of harsh chemicals, no animal testing and environmentally friendly (can’t forget about Mother Earth).
I think there is more reason now than ever to take a closer look at the ingredients in your beauty products. My reason is that I have super sensitive skin, which can easily flare up from certain ingredients. By going clean here are some great benefits:
- Free from parabens (this is used in products to prolong shelf life and prevent bacteria growth). Parabens have been linked to a potential increased risk of cancer (no bueno)
- Avoid skin irritations
Don’t get me wrong – I don’t believe all chemicals are bad for you and this isn’t a ‘convert you to natural products only kind of post’. But I think it’s important to recognize the labeled ingredients in your products, it’s actual benefits and how it’s produced.
When I look into skincare, cosmetics and haircare, I’ll check to see if the product contains any synthetic fragrance, pore-blocking petrochemicals, sulfate detergents, silicones, synthetic colors, animal ingredients, parabens and anything starting with methyl-, ethyl-, propyl-, isopropyl-, butyl-, and isobutylparabens. These are the ingredients I avoid.
Whether you’re a firm believer in using only clean beauty products or you’re a newbie to this, check out some of my favourites below:
About | A chic beauty brand made for everybody who wants smooth, soft skin. Made with an alchemy of luxurious and fresh botanical ingredients to change the feel, suppleness, softness and resiliency of your body.
Product | Velvet Drops Daily Botanical Body
Price | $34.00 CAD (shop it here)
- A buttery botanical coterie of vital antioxidant-rich nutrients, super-enriched skin butters, and plant-powered oils that immediately moisturizes and appeases dry, flaky skin
- Hydrophilic aloe jelly attracts skin-quenching water molecules for dewy, hydrated skin
- Mango butter contains high levels of Vitamin C to banish dull skin. Emollient-rich shea and cocoa butter nourish skin with creamy fatty acids, while super hydrating floral jojoba and rosehip oils seal in moisture and calm dry, irritated skin
- This glow-boosting body lotion potion melts in fast for a velvety matte finish
About | Kosmea is an Australian natural skincare company.
Product | Energising Radiance Mask
Price | $29.15 CAD (shop it here)
- An overnight treatment that give long-lasting hydration and brightens the skin
- Made from natural ingredients, including jojoba oil, Kakadu plum, and moisture locking; Saccharide Isomerate.
- Soothes and calms the skin
About | Thursday Plantation offers a unique range of health and beauty products, all derived from nature’s oils, to restore your skin to its healthiest. All products does not contain synthetic parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS), sodium lauryl ether sulphate (SLES), or harsh detergents. In addition, all products are free from animal testing.
Product | Tea Tree Face Wash Foam
Price | $14.99 CAD (shop it here)
- All natural soap free, foaming cleanser to gently clean skin without drying it out
- Removes build-up of excessive oils and other impurities
- Contains 100% pure Australian Tea Tree Oil, a natural antibacterial ingredient
- Made with calming Chamomile to help soothe skin redness
About |Biossance is a natural & organic skincare line with products that are toxin-free and naturally-derived. Their formulas and packaging are also eco-friendly. Biossance products are vegan and cruelty-free, plus the skincare company is passionate about giving back to social good organizations and has even developed a patented technology that creates accessible cures for malaria.
Product | Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil
Price | $90 CAD (shop it here)
- A luxurious face oil that visibly brightens, firms, and evens the look of skin tone and texture
- Delivers exceptionally soft, smooth and radiantly healthy-looking skin
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
About | Tata Harper’s organic skin care line is certified by ECOCERT, 100% natural, and never includes synthetic chemicals. It’s products are mostly vegan, cruelty-free and made in Vermont using local, sustainable ingredients.
Product | Resurfacing BHA Glow Mask
Price | $78 CAD (shop it here)
- Restores glow and refines the look of pores for smoother, healthier-looking radiant skin
- This mask is best for blocked pores, dull or rough skin